Tuesday, August 18, 2009

zebra squares

These are my 'grandmother's favorite!' No, really. They are. I would say I had proof but I don't. You'll just have to take my word for it, it is my Indiana Nonna's favorite, except for lemon bars sugar cream pie, and several others. And THAT is where I got my sweet tooth. While making this, I confess that I got to lick the spatulas of both the cream cheese part AND the chocolate part. They were so good. But the best part by far was (other than, of course the eating) was the swirling around of the two frostings. Be careful though: do not get carried away and turn the frosting grey, as that kind of makes the name pointless.

Zebra Squares

1 package fudge brownie mix (see, Grandma's favorite!)
8 oz cream cheese, cut up
1/2 a cup sugar
1 egg
and then whatever the ingredients are on the brownie mix

Begin by following the instructions for the brownie mix as on the package,but DO NOT COOK. Instead, spread half of the mixture in a pan sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
While doing this, beat the cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and continue beating to combine it. Pour this mixture over the partially baked bottom layer. Then spoon the remaining brownie mixture over this and swirl carefully, making sure not to touch the Bottom layer. It should be marbled.
Return to the oven for 30 to 35 minutes until the brownies test done. Cool. Makes 24 small bars.

These were a huge hit, especially good with vanilla ice cream.

1 comment: