Tuesday, August 18, 2009

lemon bars

I love these lemon bars, they are rich and sweet with a citrusy undertone. The recipe is simple and easy, or, as Elsa would put it, "So easy even a cat could make it!" These are another of 'grandmas favorites'. We were requested to make these and I am glad we did! Jane, my cousin, shrieked when she first tried these and trotted in to see me and insist that I try them. I was playing with a kitten at the time, but these lemon bars made me put the kitten down promptly and go get more. So do enjoy these!

Lemon Bars
(makes 24 bars)

1 box lemon cake mix
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter, melted
1 cup unrefined sugar
zest and juice of 2 lemons
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs

Mix lemon cake mix and melted butter and press into a 9-inch square pan that you've sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes at 350F.

With an electric mixer or (as I had to) just whipping really REALLY hard with a whisk, mix all remaining ingredients. When the crust comes out of the oven, when it's still hot, pour this mixture over the crust and then bake again for 25 minutes. Chewy, tart, buttery delight. Delight. I mean what I say- it was delightful!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha. even a CAT could make it!!!!
    i bet hermione gets her mini cat apron on and in the night,
    when you all lie, unwittingly, asleep in your beds,
    she is downstairs making LEMON BARS!!!!!
    hahahahahahaah! (she even has a evil cat laugh)

    ReplyDelete